I have the Sony WH-1000xm3. I bought them a couple of years ago and they are great. I really love them. The Noise Canceling was fantastic years ago. Maybe its currently outdated, but i love them either.
But there where some Problems on Windows i had two devices one for Music and one for audio calls with lower audio quality. But they connected and they worked. Not perfect but they worked.
But i changed to Linux and faced completely different problems. I neither got the headset connected via Bluetooth. Via aux i had no problems. Audio and microphone worked fine. But via Bluetooth i had many problems.
In this article i am describing my story of how i got them to work. If some points are useless just go ahead and contact me and i will remove them.
Make shure you have Pipewire installed. I am currently on Arch so i head over to Pipewire docs and installed it.
Install bluez if not allready installed:
Connect the Headphone
First i thought: "Yeah just connect them and i am ready". That was a sweet dream...
So to connect them it took me several steps. I have them from this Forum Post
sudo systemctl start bluetooth sudo systemctl status bluetooth bluetoothctl list bluetoothctl devices sudo systemctl enable bluetooth
Maybe they are not correct but for me they worked.
After the reboot you should be able to connect with the Headphones.
If not you can connect them manually (Commands from Arch Docs):
bluetoothctl default-agent power on scan on
Wait until your Headphones appear and copy their address.
Then enter following commands:
pair [ADDRESS] connect [ADDRESS]
Your Headphones should be now connected.
Now go ahead and test them. In my case the sound was very muddy. This is because your headphones are now in the "Microphone-enabled -shitty-sound-mode" as i call it. To get the clear sound we all want you have to check the config of Pipewire. It took me some time to figure this out. But go ahead to the new Pipewire config location:
cd /usr/share/pipewire ls -la
you will see some configuration for Pipewire. Here you can change the general behaviour of Pipewire. But we just want to change the bluez behaviour so we go ahead to the media-session.d directory:
then we go ahead and edit the bluez-monitor.conf file:
Under properties change this line
to the following:
Optional: Enable scx-xq-support
If you want you can enable the scx-xq-support aswell. Change this line
bluez5.sbc-xq-support = false
to the following:
bluez5.sbc-xq-support = true
Set Headset roles:
Below this line
#bluez5.headset-roles = [ hsp_hs hsp_ag hfp_hf hfp_ag ]
insert the following
bluez5.headset-roles = [hsp_hs hsp_ag hfp_hf]
And reboot again...
Now you should be able to connect your Headset and have crystal clear sound on your nice Linux PC.